Gretchen Macht is coming up on her 2 month anniversary of being a regular nooner. She has Kelly Sprehn to thank for her introduction but herself to be proud of for putting in the effort. Gretchen always comes ready to get after it and has decided WOD’s she hates most are the ones she seems to go the hardest on (running is evil she says)! I love seeing someone like Gretchen who just “gets it” grind out the first month working on her weaknesses (like we all should be) with a huge smile… well, at least most of the time! I’m excited to see how far Gretchen gets over the summer because you can be assured it won’t be for lack of effort and wonderful attitude!!! Stay after it, 0001!!!
For folks following our 3 day train, 1 day rest, 2 day train, 1 day rest programming schedule the items on the following list are your focal points on a Thursday (rest day)… You need to rest in order to improve.
25-40 minutes of one or a mixture of the following performed at 50-60% effort – easy, restorative & conversational pace:
* Swim (this is my first choice… it is what I do all summer weather permitting)
* Row (focus on mechanics, smooth and efficient with a very low stroke per minute pace)
* AirDyne (keep the pace conversational and relaxed)
* Cycling (get outdoors and enjoy the scenery as you ride)
* Hike (nothing crazy here, find a nice easy slope and go for a walk outdoors)
NOTE ABOUT ACTIVE RECOVERY – The activity selected must be restorative for you. It can also be an opportunity to work on a skill (like swimming or rowing), but the effort expended should leave you feeling energized at the end of the session, not depleted. I would also always prefer to see active recovery done as soon after rising as possible on the active recovery days. It’s an opportunity to start some blood flowing and aid your recovery.
Mobility and Maintenance
* Body work from a licensed body worker such as Jennifer Borigo (massage, ART, acupuncture, etc…)
*YOGA @ CFN (6:30pm)
* Choose 1-2 Thoracic Mobility Drills from Kelly Starrett’s Mobility WOD and spend 5-10 minutes with them.
* Choose 2-3 Lower Body Mobility Drills from Kelly Starrett’s Mobility WOD and spend 10-12 minutes with them.
* Choose 1-2 Upper Extremity Mobility Drills from Kelly Starrett’s Mobility WOD and spend 5-10 minutes with them.
* This could be a lot of things, but think in terms of compression, contrast baths, salt baths, castor oil packs, etc….
* Ensure that you have quality foods prepared in the appropriate quantities to fuel your efforts for the remainder of the week, particularly throughout the weekend on Thursdays and for the start of the week on Sundays. Every member of CrossFit Nittany should own a crock pot, blender & farmer’s market schedule.
* Different for everyone – could be meditation or could be listening to one of our very talented musician members play or just gathering with friends; the key is to engage in activities that make your life full and help you recharge your batteries.